The Process Forum

The Process Forum (http://www.process-productions.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transformation (http://www.process-productions.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Smell/Scent in Animal Transformations (http://www.process-productions.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38004)

nehocxam 01-17-2015 11:24 PM

Smell/Scent in Animal Transformations

Hello! I've read the forums a bit, but I'm new to posting.

Just wanted to see what some people's thoughts are on the role of smell in animal transformations - does beginning to smell more animalistic (e.g. like a dog, like a primate, like a donkey, etc.) enhance the process, or gross you out? I personally think it really makes the transformation more engaging and realistic.

If anyone agrees, are there any good stories or artwork that feature this concept? It doesn't seem to be included very frequently as far as I can tell. (Maybe there's a reason.)

Spacix 01-18-2015 12:23 AM

Re: Smell/Scent in Animal Transformations

How do you "draw" a smell?

nehocxam 01-18-2015 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacix (Post 743703)
How do you "draw" a smell?

Obviously it would be more suited to stories, but it can be done in artwork... "clouds" (though it would be a bit ambiguous without a description), character reactions, dialogue, etc. Depends on the artist and content. Stories and art also go together often.

Dog_Girl_Kari 01-18-2015 10:35 AM

Are you claiming that dogs smell bad? :(

no-name 01-18-2015 11:19 AM

Kinda like a sensory overload?

Amahain 01-18-2015 11:24 AM

Kind of does neither for me. I might make a joke about a werewolf smelling like dog, but it doesn't really make the whole process any better or worse as far as I'm concerned.

nehocxam 01-18-2015 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dog_Girl_Kari (Post 743727)
Are you claiming that dogs smell bad? :(

No, I don't think so :P Just that they smell different than people, and changing the way a person smells (e.g. if someone began to smell like a wet dog) adds to the transformation process.

I really like the idea, but I acknowledge that others might think they smell bad, and thus wouldn't enjoy that element being included. And regardless of whether a particular animal smells good or not, some might still like it to be included as part of the humiliation or realism of the change. That's why I asked the question, to see what people thought about it.

nehocxam 01-18-2015 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no-name (Post 743733)
Kinda like a sensory overload?

Sorry if it was unclear, I meant changing the way a person smells, not their sense of smell changing :P

rehtlh 01-18-2015 07:59 PM

Interesting... sure, I guess! It would have to be worked into the story in a creative way to not feel really shoehorned in there I would have to say. If done well though, I can imagine it could certainly add to it in some way!

Grievous 01-18-2015 09:16 PM

Closest to this I have seen are some Skunk TFs and this: http://www.furaffinity.net/view/10393516/

edinjapan 01-18-2015 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nehocxam (Post 743737)
Sorry if it was unclear, I meant changing the way a person smells, not their sense of smell changing :P

Could be both.

What we smell;
There are some smells deep down in our reptilian brain that strike fear in the human heart. There are some smells we associate with good things. And there are some smells that make us sick.

What the transformed person smells;
Smells become sharper, crisper due to the change
Smells become weaker due to the change
Smells become associated with prey, food, danger, enemy

Everything becomes fodder for building a better werewolf/werecat movie/story

Dog_Girl_Kari 01-19-2015 01:46 PM

Often times in my Werewolf TF stories the subject has increased sense of smell that changes their perceptions and interactions with the world around them.