free hit counters
The Process Forum - View Single Post - Expansion Comics is Online!
View Single Post
Unread 11-25-2006   #58
Abazaba
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiryha
I think one of the reasons most people have problems with stuff like pay sights is from the lessons learned through sports and computers.

Sports stars now get payed rediculous amounts of money for doing what most people consider a game. They get this money because they were allowed to expect this kind of money. People used to do it for a decent salary then owners would get into bidding wars over certain good players, getting higher wages, ect ect ect. Now even mundane, but professional level, athletes are raking in millions because things were allowed to get out of hand.
Yes but also take into account the INDUSTRY at large. Sports is a multi BILLION doller industry. Thus employiees are going to make a huge amount of money but speaking ratio wise a very small fraction of the over all industry. I am sure that like sports or ANY other job for that matter. There will be competion price wise, but not to say it will get out of hand THAT much. Due to the fact that the community at large isn't raking in that kind of cash.

Quote:
Originally all computer software was free, done by people that liked pushing the barriers on what could be done with it. They would pass arround each others programs and improve existing content for free all to see what could be accomplished. Then Mr. Gates, who had been a part of that group for a brief period, pulled the plug, threatened legal action and computer software has become an increasingly commercial affair. Some companies are now charging 20-30 dollars for games that used to be free ware and are usually reproductions of games teens do in flash over the span of one or two weeks.
As for computers, yes it too is proably more like a trillion doller industry world wide. Even with that, there are still HUGE amounts of FREE, or next to free software out there. Shareware for example has proably billions of programs that you can download for free, and use. Some of the better programs charge like what five dollers to keep there projects going. Hell even Linux is a HUGE free program that is compeating very well against top name programs. Not to mention the Open Office programs. So its easy to make that argument, but hard to make it float in this open world.

Quote:
Most people I think are afraid that if artists go to pay sites that eventually all free content will disappear as artists start to expect money for everything they do.

Not an unfounded fear. However, when it happens(though it will never totally happen) it will just mean that there will be higher quality stuff and more of it. An artist that is getting paid for his work, generally wants to do the work to get payed. I can't afford to go to paysites myself. I don't think I can afford the food I'm going to need in two weeks at this point. But I do support them as a natural progression of material. It's a nessicary step for anything in a capitalist society to survive.
Yes it is true that as more artist go to pay sites the number of high quality works will incease. Not all of it will be on pay sites. I mean there are a great number of PAY sites that HOST free sites, or free galleries for starting artists. I would be hard pressed to even think of a time when no more than 50% of any given communit especialy our non-mainstream fetish. Is in the realm of pay sites or pay anything. The more something goes comercial, the more the free aspect of it will develop. Especaly in this world of instant access and free press.
Abazaba is offline   Reply With Quote