View Single Post
Unread 09-27-2023   #2203
Thrillerboy
Frequent Poster

Re: Female Werewolf needles in a haystack

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2766479 View Post
This may have potential based on that shot alone
To expand on my quote above, this series was a disappointment in season 1 not solely because it didn't have any process. Rather, the special effects studio they hired released a ton of BTS stuff showing the gorgeous animatronic wolf they built, and used in the last episode. It was so high quality that it begged the question as to why it wasn't used in other aspects of the show.

The director was later quoted in an interview, saying that he wanted to show as little of the werewolf as possible in the first season. It's a decision I don't agree with, even outside of niche interests. The show doesn't try to hide from the plot point of Mary being a werewolf, or try to sow uncertainty in whether she actually is. We are told from the beginning what she is, and her having to deal with her condition is a major plot point of the story. So, what is gained by hiding that from the audience for 90 percent of the season? One of my main criticisms of the show was that it's supposed to be a genre-blending effort, yet really put the horror aspect on the backburner, in favor of the drama. I'm not advocating for a much darker, more grim tone; however, it lacked real balance in marrying the two genres, imo.

Fast forward to the trailer, and what I pointed out. The effects on that muzzle shot are fantastic. But, based on the history of how things have been presented in this show, there is a real chance that this is all we see for the entire season. There are other moments hinted at in the trailer where the male lead interacts with the fully transformed wolf, which gives us a slight chance for more. Ultimately, though, my expectations are very low for this. I would love, if not hope, to be pleasantly surprised with it in the end.
Thrillerboy is offline   Reply With Quote