The Process Forum - View Single Post - Feeling Low - Shrink Fan Comics
View Single Post
Unread 10-06-2023   #23
vid
Frequent Poster

Re: Feeling Low - Shrink Fan Comics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll-Elf View Post
It's just that depression is a hard topic to write for and my depression comes off in extreme anxiety where I feel overly seen and mentally massive. Like everyone knows what I am thinking and what I did wrong. I feel 100 feet tall and not in a good way.

To me, shrinking is comfort. Being able to slip into someone's arms as they cradle me and smother me with love and kisses as I snuggle into their breasts. I don't have to think or do anything. I'm their pet and they decide everything for me. No bills. Just being taken care of like a good girl. (After writing this I know very well that I have mommy issues. Shush all of you.)

And the concept of depressed people wanting to 'vanish' with something outside of their control like depression is a stereotype to the point where some characters that can change size often get smaller to show they are sad. It's a cliche and personally I don't like the concept. That is not a critique on your writing, just the trope in general.
I really appreciate your clarification and I take no offense to your criticism about the trope. Couching your metaphor for your anxiety in size-talk was really interesting and has given me a bit to think about. Regardless, I hope I didn't cause any distress with my portrayal.

Honestly, me being a straight male, the way you described the appeal of shrinking is legitimately what I would want to give to my lover. I think the peril or confusion of the moment for her is what I rely on to let myself be her shoulder to lean on so I'm a bit more roundabout in that sense, but I absolutely get what you mean and I really do enjoy that kind of tenderness and romance of making her feel safe and loved, at least when it comes to the major emotions I want to express.

Other times, though...I think something about the situation being a bit mean or unfair can appeal to me too (if you've read "Clearence Sale" you can kind've see what I mean).
vid is offline   Reply With Quote