free hit counters
The Process Forum - View Single Post - Image - Manga Color.
View Single Post
Unread 06-21-2005   #28
Old_Chestnut
Occasional Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutibaru
The usual japanese characters I see are Hiragana which seemed to be used for the sound effects.
The sound effects in kana show that this was all originally in Japanese: the publisher of your copy of the manga translated all the word balloons into the local Chinese (I'm guessing it's Taiwanese dialect and characters). The fact that your images are so clean suggests that the manga was legitimately republished and translated. I've seen some, which were probably pirated, where the artwork is somewhat murky and blurry, as if the parties involved in translating and re-releasing the manga were working from photocopies...

Publishers in the U.S. who have been translating manga have tried dealing with the kana by translating all the sound effects as well, but sometimes the characters are integrated into the drawings and are very difficult to replace. Early on in the business of releasing translations, the publishers would sometimes actually have someone re-draw those parts of the panel; but that's really time-consuming and, with the flood of translations appearing nowadays, no one would be able to keep up. Often what's done now is to replace only the smaller words and add footnotes to explain the sound effects that are too hard to replace. Where footnotes would take up too much room on the pages (like with, say, Excel Saga), the explanation of the sound effects and such are listed at the back of the compilation book.

Oh, and just to get back to the proper topic, your color work does look good on that completed large panel.

Last edited by Old_Chestnut; 06-21-2005 at 04:57 PM.
Old_Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote