free hit counters
Evil conversion(for the lack for better term) - Page 424 - The Process Forum
The Process Forum  

Go Back   The Process Forum > Content Forums > Transformation

Inflation and Process ClipsProcess Productions Store Inflation and Process Clips

Unread 05-30-2011   #5077
Snips0123
Process Fan

Re: Evil conversion(for the lack for better term)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilparazzo View Post
Thank's. I can imagine we wont be seeing a translation anytime soon or never though seeing how text intensive the story actually is.
Any have an idea on how much it would cost? I'd be more than happy to front the cash if it's reasonable.

*melts back into the shadows of lurk*
Snips0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011   #5078
Ilparazzo
Advocate of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb9 View Post
Extremely well received! Thanks for scanning it. I am all-out supporting you in getting Sailor Moon corruption doujins. Hell, I'll commission artwork or take requests for it =D
Glad you like'd it. I rarely scan stuff as I want to avoid damaging the items but since this was only bound together by staples I had to trouble taking it apart. I was going to post it in one of your VIP groups but a forum lurk got ahead of me there. At least he gave me credit for it.

On a side note, I agree with what you said in those conversations with that Butler guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomonkey View Post
Edit 2 - This is getting to be unreadable... I doubt it's possible, but can we get a better scan? Lines just blur together at this resolution :<
Here you go, http://www.mediafire.com/?yl7ccucrucc94ul
Hopefully 2140 x 3024 is large enough for you :P Really appreciate you looking into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips0123 View Post
Any have an idea on how much it would cost? I'd be more than happy to front the cash if it's reasonable.

*melts back into the shadows of lurk*
To be honest, I have no idea but I can imagine it being quite expensive which is why I appreciate monomonkey looking into the translation.

Since I actually released something this quickly. I can safely hold on to these two.
I really still hate pages with too much black since those are like totally designed to point out how dusty my scanner is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg testpage1.jpg (3.61 MB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg testpage2.jpg (3.50 MB, 119 views)
Unread 05-30-2011   #5079
monomonkey
it's monkey twice!

As I recall, last time we had someone here hire a translator, it was pretty damn expensive.

Quote:
I have a response from Saha. I'm looking at double figures per-page, and triple figures for the whole thing.
It's actually pretty reasonable for a price. Translating a typical doujin takes about 5 hours (for me at least). This one takes at least four times as long. Not actually knowing Japanese makes it a lot longer for me

Thanks for the high-res scans. Such a huge difference. I won't have any problems reading any of these now. Would you like a text translation or a picture translation, or both? By that, I mean would you like me to just drop a text file or word document here or even just post the translation itself and have you or someone else make it into the picture? The difference in resolution is going to be weird, and I don't think the small resolution picture could hold the text. Every time I do one of these, I have to shrink the text pretty damn small to fit, since English takes up a lot more room than Japanese.
monomonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011   #5080
Ilparazzo
Advocate of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomonkey View Post
Thanks for the high-res scans. Such a huge difference.
No problem, as for the translation stuff. I'll let you decide on all that stuff with the rest of the people in the thread.
Unread 05-30-2011   #5081
Rainday
Yuri MC fanfic writer

Quote:
Glad you like'd it. I rarely scan stuff as I want to avoid damaging the items but since this was only bound together by staples I had to trouble taking it apart. I was going to post it in one of your VIP groups but a forum lurk got ahead of me there. At least he gave me credit for it.
... *tries whistling* pppppphhh, ppppppppppphhh!!! Damnit.

Sorry about that dood, but when I saw it I just had to post it to the group ASAP, didn't know you were also a member and were gonna post it. Really stole your thunder didn't I... Heh... Very sorry about that m(_ _)m
Rainday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011   #5082
kyuven
Frequent Poster

*sigh* this discussion is making me want to fix the weaknesses in my translation skills.
Namely, my lack of...eh, i've said what I lack enough by this point...
Curse you American community college and high school Japanese system that doesn't teach students how to look up radicals ;_;
kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011   #5083
dracolych49
Process Fan

[QUOTE=Ray_bones]Hey man just wondering if I could get more of the manga you posted on http://www.process-productions.com/f...=8781&page=197

Ray_bones sent me this back in November, but I just now got the message. I'm posting what I have, but there is more to the series, I just can't find it on my hard drive at the moment.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Vampire pussy.zip (2.51 MB, 217 views)
dracolych49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011   #5084
monomonkey
it's monkey twice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuven View Post
*sigh* this discussion is making me want to fix the weaknesses in my translation skills.
Namely, my lack of...eh, i've said what I lack enough by this point...
Curse you American community college and high school Japanese system that doesn't teach students how to look up radicals ;_;
I can help there.

See, every time I translate something, I make it clear that I don't speak Japanese. I don't. Honestly. I taught myself how to read Hiragana and Katakana and I've memorized a few Kanji that are commonly repeated, then I learned participles and conjugations and off I went translating.

You may be asking yourself how someone who has only the most basic grasp of an Asian language can translate things like this. The answer is technology.

What I do when I translate is very tedious, but it gets the job done. First task is to get the words into text. Easy if it's a story from a website. Much more complicated if it's an image file. If it's an image file, I use an IME pad and draw all of the characters. It takes forever, but I haven't found a better way yet. To use an IME pad, all you need is Windows and to set up Asian languages. Vista and 7 have it automatically and it just needs to be enabled. XP is more complicated. Google answers how to do all that.

Drawing them was much more complicated for me at first, because of stroke order. Since I taught myself, I was just drawing them the way any old American would. Turns out there's a logical path in which lines go when you draw Kanji, and if you don't do it this way, the IME pad will not pick up on the character. If you do it right, it makes guesses as to what you're drawing and provides options to choose from. Clicking one adds it to your document. Repeat until you're done!

Once I have the whole document, I run it through a quick translator like QuickATLAS. It's dirty and wrong fairly often, but I can tell when it's wrong most of the time. That's when I switch over to an online dictionary like WWWJDIC and individually look up each Kanji pair to see what's confusing the quick translation. From there, it's just a little creativity to form a sentence based on what you think the sentence means. I usually translate sentence by sentence which makes the story sound disjointed at times, but my goal is to make it sound as close to the original as I can rather than make a story out of it.

Sometimes, you'll hit snags. If the resolution of the original image is too small, lines blend together on the really complex 20-stroke characters and you have no chance of working out what it is. That's when I try to find radicals I recognize and punch them into the multi-radical kanji lookup tool on WWWJDIC. I also run into problems on the complicated Kanji because I mess up the stroke order. That's when I just look up the full list of characters by stroke count in the IME pad. It also has a radical lookup function, which I use pretty frequently. And of course, one of the hardest things to do is to translate things that don't make sense outside of a Japanese context, like pronoun changes in TG manga or catchphrases / sayings they have. It takes some creativity at times, and the last option is always to just ignore it. I remember one story I translated (don't think I ever posted it, actually) where I just left off an entire page of story because I couldn't figure out the writer's intention and where it fit in to the rest of the story. I definitely skipped a paragraph or two in the last Dark Planet story I posted for the same reason. Sorry~ You get what you pay for~

Truth be told, I actually started writing a "how to translate japanese without knowing japanese" guide like two years ago and never got around to finishing it. This is a very, very summarized version of it because you've said you know at least the basics, so this should do for now.

Last edited by monomonkey; 05-30-2011 at 12:25 PM.
monomonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011   #5085
kyuven
Frequent Poster

hm, interesting...
Yeah I have no problem translating text (in fact, if I know the words or even what the kanji mean, i can translate the whole sentence properly) but images are another story, and...well, most stuff that needs translating is images. I can actually sit down and read a shonen or shojo (i.e. target audience under 18) manga that gives furigana with all the kanji, and generally get the gist of everything they're saying at a reasonable pace.
I...didn't even know IME pad existed. I may actually be able to start translating now.
kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011   #5086
nupissa
Frequent Poster

Which game or manga are these from? I have seen them a lot on 2chan and was just wondering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1306802792506.jpg (85.2 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 1302999464524.jpg (77.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 1302999589902.jpg (106.6 KB, 116 views)
nupissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011   #5087
no-name
The Undying Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nupissa View Post
Which game or manga are these from? I have seen them a lot on 2chan and was just wondering.
I don't see anything evil about this, but I would still love to know where it's from!
no-name is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011   #5088
keitaro_2006
Process Fan

I believe it is from Kagura series game (Natsu Kagura etc), or Izumo game...
keitaro_2006 is offline   Reply With Quote