free hit counters
New Werewolf Project - Page 5 - The Process Forum
The Process Forum  

Go Back   The Process Forum > Content Forums > Transformation

Inflation and Process ClipsProcess Productions Store Inflation and Process Clips

Unread 08-05-2016   #49
actionmang
Frequent Poster

Re: New Werewolf Project

My only complaint with werewolf transformations is that they almost always do the facial transformation offscreen. If you don't cut away, then you've already won my support.
actionmang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2016   #50
Mr Wayne
The Man~the Myth~the Bat

Thumbs up Re: New Werewolf Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyPlayer View Post
Just to inject a bit more positivity into this thread, I'm also really into the sound of the transformation. Minimal effects are fine for me as long as the sound is good and the girl is cute. I have two clips that, imo, are good examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60mSLaUV4P8
This one has decent build up (another important aspect, but when time and money are involved I understand the need to skip it). I liked the mix of the girl's noises and the animal noises, switching back and forth a bit is most effective to me. They did a good job with how a pained, changing wolf would sound, stuck somewhere between a whine and a growl. I also don't mind the rubbery stretching noises when her back expands, but a crunching sound would probably fit better.

https://youtu.be/Sn2hySR91Tk?t=3m34s
For all the grief this project has caused us, I actually thought this was a really good off screen transformation in terms of sound. The half howl half whine right before she finishes changing is perfect, as is the transition from girl to animal groans.

That said, the girl doesn't need to be talking or making some noise the entire time. I've seen quite a few amateur TF clips where the girl never stops talking or is always making some weird noise. Too much gasping and moaning during the transformation makes it sound fake. The clips above were relatively short, so they avoided it just based on length, but in an extended clip it is something you have to be careful of. You can even make silence part of the transformation. You have the girl grasp at her throat and move her mouth like she is trying to gasp or scream but can't because her vocal cords are changing and she can't breathe.
RoyPlayer,

Well said, sir. Well said and in pin point descriptiveness too. You hit the nail straight on the head more so for the first, Being Human, Erin transformation. While the visuals don't show everything, which I would like to agree I loved her back transformation snippet, the agonizing expression of her pain, bodily sounds, and the half human-half wolf growl mix at the very end completed the picture. Great visuals or not, the auditory part of similar portrayals is absolutely crucial. While amateur sound effects and voice acting can work, imagine if those bars were set higher. The sound could carry the visuals, in combination with good voice acting or acting live action.

Good stuff.

Mr Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2016   #51
Anahki
AAWIL fanatic

Well, I can see that many people here have different preferences, as it was expected. But there is one advice that will serve you well:
When you don't know what to do, or have to take a decision about a detail, scripting, effects or whatever, just have a look at the best TF ever, and put a woman in it. That simple. You will not fail whatsoever, and at least you will have the maximum people satisfied about the results.
And if that doesn't work, follow your instinct, as artists always do.
Anahki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2016   #52
Decardo
Process Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreenboggart View Post
I can go down to compromise with the final creature, but for the stunt double I'm decisive and firm as an iron pole; on this last point there are not parallel ways, for my opinion. For the transformations, the acting, the screams, in this case, for all of us, the best litmus test is a female version of Russel Tovey in Being Human, or a female version of David Cassler in AAWIL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3YbDexcwlQ (You can use the same shots, but the actress has to be her in person).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFLQS12z8K4

*One thing that can help you in a good transformation about her - even before the moment who start the change - is it sweats with the ears and cheeks slightly reddened for overheating.
Thank you for you thoughts, I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Were looking to create a hybrid creature which is why we have the 3rd larger actress. The sequence itself is more inspired by the AWIL sequence.

I'm sending the details to the VFX artist today so we should have an idea of time/costs/practicality.

Once things are in place well let you know who's in place.
Decardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2016   #53
Decardo
Process Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreenboggart View Post
Ok perfect, thank you very much for all your friendly attention and for your amazing and hard work for us, but please, dear Decardo, not stunt double for (all) nude scenes. Shots with the face and whole body, like Cherie Ditcham or other hundreds of thousands examples of many good actresses of TV and Cinema. Peace my friend...

Best regards,

Littlegreenboggart
No stunt doubles, the other actress is used to show an increase in body size so at a certain point you stop seeing one actress and start seeing another. And in some instances were considering having the 2nd actress and the 3rd actress in scenes together such as a shot the larger arms of actress three tearing their clothing free with actress two's face in the shot doing the screaming etc.

Its hard to explain and im probably not doing it justice but well see if it works.
Unread 08-10-2016   #54
thenewflash
Process Fan

Would you add a revert werewolf transformation in the film?
thenewflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2016   #55
Decardo
Process Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewflash View Post
That's a great idea, not something we've considered but we will discuss it.
Unread 08-10-2016   #56
julibas
Leecher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewflash View Post
Second on the revert transformation.
julibas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2016   #57
Anahki
AAWIL fanatic

After having a second look at the work developed by the people of Horrify Me, I could add another advice about the development of the TF.
It could be a good idea if you delay the addition of the facial prosthetics to the latest phases of the transformation. This will give the actress more room to develop her performance in order to show the horror and pain of the TF without too many makeup on her face. I mean: ears or contact lenses would go ok in the beginning, but for example a muzzle or eyebrow coverage would hinder her performance. What do you think?
Unread 08-16-2016   #58
alphaleo1977
Lurker

on deviantart.com there is one person that has been trying to reenact the awil maybe they can be helpful to you this persons name is xheihachi
alphaleo1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2016   #59
sybersamurai
Process Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anahki View Post
After having a second look at the work developed by the people of Horrify Me, I could add another advice about the development of the TF.
It could be a good idea if you delay the addition of the facial prosthetics to the latest phases of the transformation. This will give the actress more room to develop her performance in order to show the horror and pain of the TF without too many makeup on her face. I mean: ears or contact lenses would go ok in the beginning, but for example a muzzle or eyebrow coverage would hinder her performance. What do you think?
I agree completely. That goes back to what I was saying about how important it is for the actor to really sell the transformation as opposed to just relying on prosthetics and VFX. I thought the girl from The Dark did a great job but it could definitely be taken to another level. Honestly the acting wasn't the best in American Werewolf in that scene. It was okay but it was Baker's VFX that really shocked and sold the performance. Whatever is lacking in funds/VFX capability though could more than be made up for in performance with basic ear, fang, feet prosthetics by the actress. As has already been mentioned, sound and audio are crucial here as well..
sybersamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2016   #60
Anahki
AAWIL fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaleo1977 View Post
on deviantart.com there is one person that has been trying to reenact the awil maybe they can be helpful to you this persons name is xheihachi
Nope. Patrick & Sabrina are a nice couple who make AAWIL recreations (with no FX) just for fun. They are not professionals, and they have told many times that they are very busy with their lives (they have a kid and so on) and use only their spare time to have some fun with TF stuff. So contact them for something like this is not a good idea.