free hit counters
So...how'd I do? - The Process Forum
The Process Forum  

Go Back   The Process Forum > Content Forums > Transformation

Inflation and Process ClipsProcess Productions Store Inflation and Process Clips

Unread 01-14-2015   #1
Obsidian
Process Master

So...how'd I do?

This is my first attempt at coloring and adding special FX using digital software (ie, Manga Studio 5 Ex and Corel PaintShop Pro x6).

So, for my first time, what do you think? Is it shit, or is there hope for me?

The original line art is from Arania (this is part of a sequence she did for me a while back). I've attached the line art for comparison purposes, and a version of colored product without special FX.

Be brutal if you wish; I won't/can't improve without honest criticism.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TPK 3 (Original).jpg (319.2 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg TPK 3 Colored.jpg (426.8 KB, 439 views)
File Type: jpg TPK 3 Colored Final.jpg (101.6 KB, 468 views)
Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2015   #2
Cactus Jack
Fan of the Art of Process

Re: So...how'd I do?

The spotlight effect drowns out way too much detail in the shadows, but otherwise this is very good.
Unread 01-14-2015   #3
generallyawesome
Frequent Poster

This is a very good first effort (much better than I could have done).
Some points to work on: The walls and floor are all the same color, making them lighter or darker depending on the light source will really help.
The demon woman needs a little more work, many of the lines on her body fade into her color. I'm linking a tutorial on how to digitally color a drawing, which may give some tips:

http://www.sailorenergy.net/HowToDra...CUColor01.html

But other than that, the final result is excellent and I look forward to whatever else you may color in the future
generallyawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2015   #4
Obsidian
Process Master

Thank you both for your thoughts! Yeah, I was a little worried about the spotlight effect. I think I'll leave that out in future paintings attempts.

And thank you for the tutorial; I'll be pouring over that as often as possible.
Unread 01-15-2015   #5
danielsangeo
Process Moderator

Yeah, if you're going to go for lighting effects, like the spotlight, you should have light and dark areas on the characters according to the light source. Also, when coloring, I suggest putting the colors on one layer and having the black outlines on a separate layer on top of the color layer(s). That way, you don't get the halo effect around the black outlines.

Just a thought. Good first try, though!

Tell me, where in the world is Daniel Sandiego?
danielsangeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2015   #6
Obsidian
Process Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsangeo View Post
Yeah, if you're going to go for lighting effects, like the spotlight, you should have light and dark areas on the characters according to the light source. Also, when coloring, I suggest putting the colors on one layer and having the black outlines on a separate layer on top of the color layer(s). That way, you don't get the halo effect around the black outlines.

Just a thought. Good first try, though!

So much to learn.

Thanks, I'll keep tinkering with it and see what I get. I'm very unfamiliar with layers, but hopefully more practice will help.
Unread 01-16-2015   #7
Mr GorpThorp
Frequent Poster

Looks great! Also looks like a great story
Unread 01-16-2015   #8
danielsangeo
Process Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
I'm very unfamiliar with layers
Here's an easy way to visualize it. Imagine taking transparent sheets of paper and drawing on them. You can stack the transparencies together and create what LOOKS like a single image, but you can move the individual transparencies around without affecting the other transparencies.

This is, in essence, what layers are. You can put the line art on one layer, and then put colors underneath it, so that the colors go "under" the lines, creating a clean look without halos (assuming there are no halos on the line art layer to begin with).

Tell me, where in the world is Daniel Sandiego?
danielsangeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2015   #9
Obsidian
Process Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsangeo View Post
Here's an easy way to visualize it. Imagine taking transparent sheets of paper and drawing on them. You can stack the transparencies together and create what LOOKS like a single image, but you can move the individual transparencies around without affecting the other transparencies.

This is, in essence, what layers are. You can put the line art on one layer, and then put colors underneath it, so that the colors go "under" the lines, creating a clean look without halos (assuming there are no halos on the line art layer to begin with).
Fascinating...this is going to take a while to grasp. I have no idea how to put one layer behind another, nor what "raster" or "vector" layers are. With time and practice, tho, hopefully will come clarity.
Unread 01-17-2015   #10
Obsidian
Process Master

Okay, so after a few hours tinkering with it and considering everyone's advice, I think I figured out the basics when it comes to layers. Basically, I just duplicated the original layer, and hardened the lines on the original. Seems to have worked, or so I hope.

I also experimented with some shading and blending of colors to create more realistic-looking tones and hues. The only part I'm not overly fond of is the ground. I tried to make it look somewhat like carpet, but...yeah, I don't think I succeeded there.

Anyway, here's my second go at digital painting. Advice and criticism, as always, are welcome.

*Uploaded both original and colored versions. Credit for the line art goes to the talented Arania.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sasha's Relapse 1 Original.jpg (22.5 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Sasha's Relapse 1 (colored) Final.jpg (134.2 KB, 104 views)
Unread 01-17-2015   #11
Ilovebe
Frequent Poster

The latest coloring is excellent - almost as good as Arania's actual color work.
Ilovebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2015   #12
Obsidian
Process Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovebe View Post
The latest coloring is excellent - almost as good as Arania's actual color work.
Oh my god, are you serious? You really think it looks almost as good as Arania's own color work?

I don't know if I can agree since I don't feel like I'm anywhere to close to someone like Arania, but thank you so much anyway! I'm immensely proud of this second attempt, and to hear someone liken it to a skilled artist's color work (enormous praise in my book), that just motivates me to try even harder and keep with it. Thank you again! I'm glad you like it.

Four hours of my time definitely well spent.