The Process Forum - View Single Post - Feeling Low - Shrink Fan Comics
View Single Post
Unread 10-04-2023   #10
vid
Frequent Poster

Re: Feeling Low - Shrink Fan Comics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll-Elf View Post
I hate that it's depression that shrinks her.

I think it's a forced allegory that is low hanging fruit for a "deep meaning"
Author RogueScholar here.

Can I ask what you mean by "deep meaning?" Other than the bit about "Laughing but only on the outside" that visually demonstrates how depression can affect people even when they seem relatively happy, I wasn't really digging too much into the concept. My initial thought for the story and the goal that I was working around was "what kind of person would want to shut themselves away and make their tiny living space their entire world?" I did try to be respectful about the topic and hope I didn't go too off course with its depiction, but it was really just one part of the picture I had in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll-Elf View Post
It's one thing if the person is shrunk and has to deal with it. But having an outside force malevolently be the orchestrator has always felt very wrong to me and often in SW stories, they get away with it or them doing it is in-universe "justified"
I get what you mean in that, regardless of it being "just a fantasy," there does seem to be a bit of aggression in these scenarios and usually plays out as "the bad guy always wins." And I'm sure you understand that a woman being small is going to warrant some sort of danger or peril as opposed to if she were big, especially in, at least from the way I try to structure things, a proper story that warrants investment rather than the majority of the product being just "getting down to business," but I agree that the genre could use some more upbeat stories.

I do actually have some ideas for stories that are more about intentional and consensual shrinking or at least accidental shrinking that then manifests into more fun and lighthearted faire. It'll be a bit before I can get to them, but I'll keep them in mind for my to-do list.
vid is online now   Reply With Quote